A typical itinerary for a tour of 7 days / 6 nights
This example is based on a family having ancestors in Lolland and North Jutland. Your tour can be for fewer or more days and to the areas of Denmark that you prefer to visit. All tours are tailor-made, and I arrange the journey for you and your spouse or family in co-operation with you.
- I (Henriette) will meet you on arrival at Copenhagen Airport or the cruise port if you arrive by cruise ship. Transfer to your hotel in the city center. I can book hotel rooms or you can do it yourself if you prefer that.
- The rest of the day at your leisure. If you plan to stay in Copenhagen for a few days, I recommend to buy a Copenhagen Card giving free access to lots of sights and museums.
- If you like, I will take you on a 2 hour guided walking tour in the oldest part of Copenhagen. (If walking is a problem, part of the tour could be done using public transport).
- Lunch on your own.
- The afternoon free. I will advise you to take a guided tour in the Canal Boats to see other parts of our capital.
- I recommend a visit to the enjoyable Tivoli Gardens including dinner.
Nyhavn, the Canal Boats, Tivoli Gardens.
- In the morning, we leave Copenhagen going to the island of Lolland in southern Denmark.
- We visit the exact place(s) of your ancestors home(s) - whether they still exist or not. We will also visit the church(es) where they were christened/confirmed/married as well as the local cemetery (-ies).
- Dinner and overnight stay in a local hotel or inn in Lolland.
Roskilde Viking Ship Museum, modern wind mills on the island Lolland.
- After breakfast we head towards the Island of Funen (Fyn) either crossing the 18 km wide Great Belt by bridge or using a small ferry via the island Langeland.
- A visit to The Funen Village will give you a sense of a typical Danish village in the 19th century. If time and budget permits, we can include a visit to the Museum of Hans Christian Andersen, Denmark’s famous story-teller, in Odense, his home town, and we stroll along the cobblestone streets of the old town.
- After lunch we leave Fyn and drive towards the peninsula of Jutland (Jylland).
- On our way to North Jutland, we can make a stop to visit the Rebild National Park, where Danish-Americans since 1912 have gathered on July 4th.
- Again we try to locate the exact places of your ancestors home(s).
- Dinner and overnight stay in the Aalborg area.
- A day in the Aalborg County. It was from this area that most immigrants - especially Mormons - departed.
- Visiting the places of your ancestors. After lunch we head back towards Copenhagen crossing the Great Belt by ferry.
- Dinner on your own and overnight stay in Copenhagen.
4th July in Rebild National Park.
- Maybe time for shopping depending on your flight schedule.
- Alternatively, a sightseeing tour to either North Zealand (Nordsjælland) visiting the Frederiksborg Castle, today The Museum of National History, or to Roskilde visiting the spectacular Roskilde Cathedral founded in the 12th century and The Viking Ship Museum telling about the Scandinavian Vikings and their incredible achievements. If you have an interest in modern art, the Louisiana Art Museum is a must.
- Transfer on you own to the Copenhagen Airport - approxx. 35 minutes by taxi.
Louisiana Art Museum, Frederiksborg Castle.